Cobalt Skink

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

No, YOU don't understand

It is not often that I find myself suddenly feeling intensely angry. Most things in my daily life are not of such importance that it matters if they are done this way or that. Most problems are correctable and I tend not to get overly overwrought about much. But I just answered the phone and it was one of those phone calls that leaves me angry and shaking. It was a call for my daughter. At first I thought it was just a friend of hers and I replied that she wasn't at home, and asked if I could take a message. As it turned out it was a recruiter, a Marine recruiter. Ever since the summer before her senior year of high school, they've called. It isn't just the Marines. It's the Army, and the Navy as well. I remember my daughter saying she had taken a test, had basically been required to take it while still in high school. I gather she didn't even really understand what the test was for but it seems it was to uncover aptitudes that might be useful to any and all branches of the military. So they keep calling her. I thought there would be an end to it after she became a full-time college student but no, she is still getting these calls. I informed the recruiter, through my clenched teeth and my sudden fury, that she is a full-time college student and to remove her name from their list. "But Ma'am, you don't understand, she asked for some information..." I am furious. She did no such thing. I'm not the least bit surprised to have him lying to me but I am still furious. Three times I snarled at him to remove her name from his list, that she is a college student. He was persisting in talking when I hung up on him in mid-sentence. I am furious. I want these recruiters, I want the president of this country to keep his damn war off of my children.

posted by cobaltskink at 7:22 PM
|